Gourmet and Traditional Provencal Cuisine

The restaurant Castellaras is located in Fayence, about 15 km from Callian, atop a hill which affords visitors a beautiful view of the Fayence Valley and the Esterel Hills.

Alain Carro, Hermance and Quentin Joplet have been welcoming visitors to Castellaras since 1989. This gourmet restaurant has been the recipient of a Michelin star for 25 years. It has held the title of "Master Restaurateur" since September 2010.

Restaurant LeCastellaras dessert

Notable for its fine cuisine, a friendly atmosphere, a beautiful dining room containing decorations from a local castle, and tables situated in the garden for meals during the summer months invariably makes one’s visit to this place memorable.


Alain Carro and Quentin Joplet offer their culinary creations in three set-menus: set-menu "Pleasures", set-menu "Delicacies", set-menu "25 Years of Sharing"; and they will be pleased to offer their recommendations about the best wines to accompany your meal.

The house offers its exceptional menu options daily year around, especially for holidays like Valentine's Day, Easter, Mother's Day, Christmas and New Year’s eves.

Open every day except Monday and Tuesday.

During July and August meals are served on Tuesday evenings. Closed during the period January 5th through March 26th.

Address: 461 Chemin de Peymeyan, 83440 Fayence

Phone: +33 4 94 76 13 80


Verdon Canyon covers an area of more than 80 km, extending from Castellane to the Sainte-Croix Lake. It is located in the departments of Alpes-de-Haute-Provence and  Var, in Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur region.

Verdon Provence France gmca 1


The territory of the Verdon Canyon is divided into three distinct parts: the prégorges, ranging from Castellane to Pont de Soleils; the deepest part of the valley that lies between Pont de Soleils and Imbut; and the stretch of the canyon that runs from Imbut to Pont de Galetas.

Verdon Provence France gmca 2

Five man-made lakes surround Verdon Canyon: Lake Castillon, Lake Chaudanne, Lake Montpezat (also known as the Quinson retention), the Esparron Lake and Lake St. Croix. The color of the Verdon River is emerald green. Its appearance is attributable to the fluoride and micro-algae contained in its waters. The color of the lake of Sainte Croix and the Quinson retention are more turquoise in appearance, which can be explained by presence of clay substrates in its waters. In 1990, the Verdon Canyon was classified as a protected natural site.

Verdon Canyon is a popular destination for rock climbers: there are more than 2,500 climbing routes in limestone rocks. It is also a destination for lovers of bungee jumping, canoeing, canyoning, base jumping, paragliding, rafting, fishing and hiking.


The headwaters of the Verdon river are found near the Col d'Allos, located at an elevation of 2819 m in the Alpes-de-Haute-Provence department. It flows into the Durance near Vinon-sur-Verdon after traveling nearly 175 km.


Verdon Canyon is located between the Alps foothills of Castellane and Digne. It is narrow and deep: from 250 to 700 meters deep for 6 to 100 meters wide at the level of river Verdon and 200 to 1500 vertical meters of a slope to the other at the top of the gorge.


Sainte-Croix Lake was created in 1973. It is located astride the Verdon river between Castellane and the Galetas Bridge (Pont de Galetas). The third largest lake in France, it is approximately 10 kilometers long and 2 kilometers wide, and a perfect venue for swimming and small craft boating, canoeing and sailing.


The village of Moustiers-Sainte-Marie is known primarily for its earthenware. It is also widely regarded as one of the most beautiful village of France. This medieval city is located between two rocky cliffs 630 m above sea level and not far from Verdon canyon.

Moustiers sainte marie gmca 1

Moustiers-Sainte-Marie owes its origin and its name (monasterium) to a colony of monks who were led by the Bishop Maxime of Riez starting from the year 432 AD.

Initially, a community of  monks from Lérins  settled in the surrounding tufa caves. Later, during the sixth century, they founded a monastery.

Moustiers sainte marie gmca 2

By the end of the seventeenth-eighteenth centuries, Moustiers had become well known for its factories which produced very reputable, high quality, earthenware.


During the Middle Ages, craftsmen from the village of Moustiers began producing glazed ceramic objects. At this time they decorated them in natural shades of green and brown.

The production of earthenware pieces become more sophisticated due to Pierre Clérissy, to whom an Italian monk from Monastery of Lérins had confided the secret of the making white enamel (faience tin) in 1668. Pierre Clérissy was credited with having built the first furnace at Moustiers in 1678. Thereafter, the ceramic earthenware produced at Moustiers gained a first class reputation in the courts of Europe - especially after Louis XIV gave the order to melt his Court’s gold and silver tableware.

There are four periods in design evolution of Moustiers earthenware, namely:

- The first period (1680-1720) is characterized by shades of blue exclusively with decorations imitated painting and engraving Florentine Tempesta;
- The second period identifies with potters inspired style created by Berain, an original and delicate fantasy;
- The big time matches the style of Olerys, who introduced the polychrome decoration; and
- The last period, from 1773 is dominated by rural and mythological subjects with very soft colors.

As the 19th century came to a close, porcelain and English style ceramics came into fashion and put an end to two centuries of uninterrupted production of Moustiers’ craftsmen. Indeed, the 19th century was characterized by a period of industry decline and later witnessed the complete extention of production. In 1926, however, under the leadership of Marcel Provence, the Mousterian tradition of ceramics in Berain style, with such elements as potato flower, grotesque personages, and Ferrat brothers was reintroduced.

Today the economy of Moustiers revolves around the old ‘faience’ tradition: the village has a dozen of workshops dedicated to producing traditional wares. Here one will find craftsmen who are still creating tableware and decorations in a traditional Moustiers manner as well as in newer and less ornate styles. For one wishing to learn more about the history of Moustiers earthenware, the rich collections are available in the village Museum.

The Museum of Ceramics is open:

- From 10:00 am to 12.30 pm and from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm, April 1st thru June 30th and from September 1st thru October 31st;
- From 10:00 am to 12.30 pm and from 2:00 pm to 7:00 pm, July 1st thru August 31st; and
- Weekends and school holidays (Zone B) from 10:00 am to 12.30 pm and from 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm, during November, December, February, and March.
Closed: Tuesdays. Closed from 1 January to 5 February.


Olive oil appellation Haute-Provence, Valensole lavender honey

Over 20,000 olive trees grow in Moustiers Sainte-Marie, mainly on the terraces of dry stone of the hill Claux. 2,000 of them are now operated for the production, including the Haute-Provence appellation olive oil characterized by its spicy flavor.

The Valensole lavender honey also deserves special attention.


The village of Valensole has given its name to the entire plateau. It is located at 590 meters above sea level.

Lavender Valensole Provence France

The territory covers about 12 700 hectares, including 800 km2 plateau which is mainly dedicated to the cultivation of lavender and cereals.


The city of Avignon is located 40 km from Arles, on the left bank of the Rhone river, in the department of Vaucluse in Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur region. It has a rich historical and architectural heritage classified by UNESCO as a "World Heritage of Humanity" site: an exceptional monumental complex consisting of the Ramparts, the Saint Bénezet Bridge, the Petit Palais, the Cathedral of the Doms and the Palais des Papes.

Avignon Palais de papes


The Palace of Popes is the largest Gothic palace in the world. Its construction began in 1335. It is mainly the work of two popes: Benedict XII and his successor Clement VI.
The ramparts still surround the old town. Over 4 km long, their construction began as early as 1355 under the pontificate of Innocent VI and were completed in 1370 during the pontificate of Urban V.

The construction of the bridge of Saint Bénezet was begun in the 12th century. It stretched for about 900 meters and had 22 arches. The bridge was the first passage over the Rhone between Lyon and the sea. Rebuilt several times, its use was abandoned in the 17th century. Today it has four arches and a chapel dedicated to Saint Nicholas.

Located next to the Palais de Papes, the current building of Notre-Dame des Doms dates from the 12th century. A new apse and a grandstand were built at the end of the 17th century. The statue that dominates the building represents the Virgin Mary protecting the city of Avignon. It was built in 1859.

Avignon is renowned for its artistic and cultural heritage: religious buildings and museums contain rich collections of artistic and historical objects. Among places to visit are the Petit Palais Museum, the Angladon Museum, the Calvet Museum, the Chapelle des Pénitents Noirs.

Avignon petit palais collection
The Festival of Avignon takes place in July in the Cour d'Honneur of the Palais: thematic exhibitions and concerts are organized.

Laurette Theater offers shows throughout the year.

Lovers of contemporary artists can visit the Galerie Roland Charton.


The Palace of the Popes is one of the 10 most visited monuments in France.
This Gothic palace has 15,000 m2 of floor space and contains 24 rooms.
The monumental residence of the pontifical sovereigns of the 14th century present to the visitor more than twenty rooms, including the private apartments of the pope and their decorations of frescos executed by the Italian artist Matteo Giovannetti.
Visits the Palace of the Popes is open every day, all year long:
From September 1st to November 1st from 9:00am to 7:00pm;
From November 2nd to February 28th from 9.30am to 5.45pm; in March - from 9:00am to 6.30pm;
From April 1st to June 30th from 9:00 am to 7:00pm; and during July from 9:00am to 8:00pm.
The museum closes at 6:30pm on days coinciding with the Avignon Festival; and during August from 9:00am to 8:30pm.
The last admission to museum is made 1 hour before the closing of the monument. Audio guide in 11 languages. Seven (7) films are arranged in different rooms of the course, synchronized to an audio guide.



The permanent collection of Le Petit Palais Museum is comprised of Italian paintings (e.g., a large collection of works by old Italian masters), sculptures by Avignon natives, and many artistic works by artists of the Ecole d'Avignon.
It contains about 390 paintings and 600 sculptures. Most of the paintings in the collection date from the 15thand early 16th centuries.
Le Petit Palais is a former residence of the archbishops of Avignon dating from the 14th century. It was classified as a historic monument in 1910 and later in 1992.
To visit, the Palace is open:
From Wednesday to Monday
- from 10:00am to 1:00pm and
- from 2:00pm to 6:00pm. Closed on January 1st, May 1st, and December 25th.
Address: Palais des archevêques, place du Palais, Avignon


The collection of the Avignon Museum of Fine Arts and Archeology contains a collection of works by major artists from the 18th , 19th and 20th centuries.
A part of the Calvet Museum, is located in the 18th century Franco-Italian style hotel.
For visits, the museum is open:
From Wednesday to Monday from 10:00am to 1:00pm and from 2:00pm to 6:00pm.
Address: 65 rue Joseph Vernet, Avignon


The collection of the Musée Angladon houses works of art from the 16th to the 20th centuries: Degas, Daumier, Manet, Sisley, Forain, Van Gogh, Cezanne Picasso and Modigliani.
The first floor has retained the layout of the mansion: a medieval and Renaissance room, an artists' studio, a Chinese salon and 18th century lounges featuring numerous paintings, drawings, stamped furniture and works of art.
For visits, the museum is open:
From March 15th to November 15th from 1:00pm to 6:00pm, from Tuesday to Sunday;
From November 15th to March 15th from 1:00pm to 6:00pm from Wednesday to Sunday.
Address: 5 rue Laboureur, Avignon


The Chapel of the Black Penitents is a beautiful presentation of the baroque art of the end of the 16th century.
Address: 57 rue Banasterie, Avignon


Works by contemporary artists are exhibited at Galerie Roland Charton. In this gallery you will find paintings by Jean-Michel Cavalli, Ernest Audibert, Juan Benito, Bernard Delheure, Roger Keiflin, Yuichi Ono, Alfred Persia, Joseph Piermatteo, and sculptures by Jacques le Nantec and Lyvie de Sutter.
Address : 23 rue Saint-Agricol, Avignon


The Chateauneuf-du-Pape appellation is situated about 52 km from Avignon.
The history and development of the this appellation is related primarily to the installation of the Roman Catholic Popes in Avignon during the 14th century.
The culture of winemaking in the region probably dates back to Roman times, though the first written evidence of its existence dates only from 1157 AD.
In any event, it was through the patronage of the popes that wine of this appellation became well known. The vineyard now has 3,200 hectares spread throughout the towns of Châteauneuf-du-Pape, Bédarrides, Courthézon, Orange and Sorgue.

Avignon chateauneuf du Pape


The appellation Châteauneuf-du-Pape consists of five (5) villages: Châteauneuf-du-Pape, Courthézon, Bédarrides, Sorgue, Orange.
Vinadéa, house wines of Châteauneuf-du-Pape, offers regular tastings of appellation wines. More than 200 different items are available for sale. Most bottles are sold at the same price as the property available individually or per case, with the possibility to be delivered anywhere throughout France.
The wine house is open every day:
• 10:00am - 12:30pm and 2:00pm - 7:00pm during summer;
• 10:00am - 12:30pm and 2:00pm - 6:30pm mid-season;
• 10:00am - 12:00pm and 2:00pm - 6:00pm during winter;
Closed in February, on December 25th, and January 1st.
Address: Wine house of Châteauneuf-du-Pape "Vinadéa",
8, rue Marechal Foch, BP 68 84232 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cedex


The “Old Fontaine” restaurant ("La Vieille Fontaine") is located within the Hotel d'Europe, in a property built in 1580 by the Marquis of Graveson and inhabited by families of Graveson and Forbin until the time of the French Revolution (1789 – 1799).
The hotel was designed by Lady Pierron in 1799, at the insistence of her friend Napoleon Bonaparte. As a result, soon thereafter the hotel was nicknamed "L’Hotel d’Europe".
During its heyday in the 19th century, personalities such as Queen Astrid of Spain (1832), Victor Hugo (1839), and Charles Dickens were frequent guests at the "Hotel Europe".
The restaurant "La Vieille Fontaine" now offers contemporary cuisine in the Mediterranean style.
It was awarded a Michelin star and a Michelin Macaron.

For lunch the restaurant is open from Tuesday thru Saturday from 12:00pm to 1:30pm. “Business Menu Set” is available throughout the business week (served only at lunchtime).
For dinner: from Tuesday thru Saturday from 7:30pm to 9:30pm.
Address: Hotel d'Europe
12 Place Crillon, 84000 Avignon


The Abbey of Our Lady of Sénanque, a Cistercian monastery, is located at 47 km from Avignon, in the town of Gordes.


Tarascon is located 20 kilometers from  Arles  in the department of Bouches-du-Rhône, within the Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur region. Known primarily as the town of King René, Tarascon has a rich historical, architectural and cultural heritage which dates from the Medieval and Renaissance periods. In fact, there are 28 historical monuments in the city and its environs that are protected by the State.

Tarascon Provence France

The legend of Tarasque and Saint Martha originated in this place. The town of Tarascon is also the home of Tartarin, a fictional local hero made famous by Alphonse Daudet by his novels “Tartarin from Tarascon”, “Tartarin in the Alps”, and “Port Tarascon.”


The history of the Tarascon is closely linked to the legend of the Tarasque, a mythical monster native to the region, and Saint Martha, an early Christian missionary.

A statue of the stone Tarasque (2008) is located to the left of the entrance of the castle and in front of the church of Saint Martha. Two statues were created to glorify Saint Martha, patron saint of town : one is situated in the church and another adorns the façade of the town hall.

The earliest known inhabitants of Tarascon were the Salyens - a mixture of Celts and Ligurians. The Massilians also were present in and around Tarascon about three centuries before the common era. Later, the Romans built here a citadel which enabled them to closely observe the waters of the Rhone.

At this time the Christian missionary by the name of Martha arrived at Tarascon and later delivered the country of the mythical creature that terrorized the region: the Tarasque.

Following the death of the Tarasque, Martha settled among the town’s people. She became the object of particular devotion, and was revered as a holy woman. Later Saint Martha became known as the patron saint of Tarascon.

Many pilgrims and the greatest kings have gathered at her tomb over the centuries. In the year 500, Clovis, then later his successors, granted privileges to the city. Louis XI favored the church which he elevated to the rank of a Collegiate Church. King René himself created the order of the Knights of Tarasque (1474).

Up to this day, the community of Tarascon commemorates Saint Martha’s pacification of the monster Tarsque during the annual Tasasque Festival.


All periods of history have left their mark on the church: its construction was initiated in 1330, it was designed mostly in the Gothic style, built upon its original Romanesque walls.

In the building as it exists today, there is a crypt considered to be one of the oldest sanctuaries in Provence, consisting of a Romanesque part of the structure built during 12th century, a Gothic wing erected during the 14th century, and a Renaissance section constructed in the 14th and 17th centuries.

The crypt conceals traces of a pre-Roman settlement dating from the 3rd or 4th century BCE and the ancient sarcophagus of Saint Martha dating from the 3rd and 4th centuries AD.

The Gothic and Renaissance parts of the structure were built over the remains of the ancient Romanesque church. What remains of the romanesque building is its portal and the walls of the southern enclosure and the northwest section encompassing the base of the bell tower. The portal is considered one of the most prominent of all such structures in all of Provence.

The bell tower, its buttressing arches, and its sacristy were built during the 15th century. Inside, a collection of religious paintings from the 16th through 18th centuries adorn this sacred and magnificent place, as does an organ whose instrumental portion dates from 1484, classified as historical monument. Occasional organ concerts are held in this place even in the present day.

The church of Saint Martha de Tarascon has been regarded as one of the most famous sanctuaries in Provence since in 1187, when relics of Saint Martha were first rediscovered.


Located 10 km from the castle of Tarascon, the Abbey of Saint Michel of Frigolet, 12th-century historical monument, is nestled in the heart of the Montagnette.

Tarascon Abbaye Saint Michel de Frigolet

Founded by the monks of Montmajour, the Abbey of Saint-Michel de Frigolet was designed in the Romanesque Provençal style. At the height of its influence, there were 13 canons and 15 lay brothers resident at the abbey and working its fields and producing wares for sale throughout the surrounding towns and villages.

Dating from this period, the current heart of the monastery remains: the cloister of the beginning of the XIIth century and the church of Saint-Michel of the XIIth century as well as the small chapel of Our Lady of Good Remedy from the XIth century then called Our Lady of Frigolet. Over the centuries, the monestery has become a pilgrimage destination for the faithful from all over the world.

In the year 1316, the religious community of Frigolet was consolidated with that of the cathedral at Avignon. Twelve canons resided in the monastery at the time. One part of the community was assigned to the church of Sainte-Marthe de Tarascon, then regarded as a property of the cathedral at Avignon. The prior of Frigolet was designated as the dean of Saint-Martha.

When, in 1482, the King of France Louis XI founded the Collegiate of Sainte-Marthe in the place of the priory, the Prior of Frigolet received the title of Dean of Saint-Martha. Shortly thereafter, the monastery was abandoned and remained unoccupied until 1635, when religious Hieronymites took over the site. Religious life there upon resumed at Saint Michel de Frigolet.

In the 17th century the choir of the church of Saint-Michel was enlarged : the chapel and adjoining rooms were added. The Our Lady of Good Remedy chapel was decorated in the Baroque style, and the little priory was eventually expanded as well. 

In 1791 the revolutionaries appropriated the monastery, the last religious left Frigolet. The priory of Saint-Michel with all its annexes and dependencies was subsequently sold as national property.

In 1858, the Reverend Father Edmond bought the former priory of Saint-Michel of Frigolet to restore the Order of Premonstratum destroyed in France during the Revolution. Under his leadership, vast buildings were erected to accommodate the increasing number of religious pilgrims. A neo-Gothic church was constructed during this time as well as a neo-medieval enclosure with towers, battlements, curtains and machicolations. The new church encloses the Romanesque chapel of Notre-Dame du Bon Remède.

On June 6, 1869, Pope Pius IX elevated the priory of Frigolet to the rank of Abbey and Father Edmond was then became its first abbot. In 1880, the French government decreed the dissolution of the community and ordered him to leave the monastery.

At the beginning of the 20th century, the community returned to settle in Frigolet. Today, the Abbey hosts regular Premonstratens canons, also reffered to as White canons. Eight monks currently reside in these places, which also periodically shelter people who wish to retreat from the world for a certain time.

Address: Route de Frigolet, 13150 Tarascon, France


From 1265 to 1480, the princes of the House of Anjou reigned over the lands along the banks of the Loire river in Provence, Italy and parts of Central Europe (Hungary).

Tarascon Chateau Provence fete gmca

King René of Anjou, also known as "Le Bon", the last Anjou Prince to reign, is remembered as a great builder, artist and culture lover. Castle was founded at the time, when Tarascon constituted one of the main border towns of Provence. Built on the left bank of the Rhone, the castle of Tarascon was constructed as fortress starting from 1400 AD by Louis II of Anjou.

From 1447 to 1449, King René transformed the old fortress into a palace: sumptuous decorations realized during this period set the stage for the castle’s present state of elegance. The ornamentation of the courtyard dates from this period: loggia, niche statues, porches, arcade decorations, and a room known as "chantres".

Designed in the Renaissance and flamboyant Gothic styles, the castle measures 130 meters long by 36 wide and rests on a foundation of solid rock. It is divided into two parts: to the north, where the reception area is currently located, were the rooms for men-at-arms and a court. In this part of the castle, there is a display of 18th century pottery from the apothecary of the St Nicolas Hospital.

The princely residence is organized around the courtyard of honor common to the Renaissance period. The carved decorations of the church, representative of the flamboyant Gothic, reveals its Italian influences. Four staircases with about 136 steps each lead to terraces from which the view extends from the Ventoux to the sea. The thirty-three apartments contain beautiful artifacts. A Renaissance niche attributed to Laurana houses the busts of King René and his second wife, Jeanne de Laval. In the west wing, the coffered ceilings of the banquet hall and the King's living room are covered with rich pictorial decor.

Acquired by the State in 1932, this castle has been designated as an historic monument since 1840.


The cultural heritage associated with Tarascon is represented by numerous works of art from the 16th through 19th centuries. These works are located mainly in the collegiate church of Sainte-Martha and in the town hall. Among the more than 30 works of art, 5 objects of the XVIth century, 14 objects of the 17th century (featuring authors Nicolas Mignard, Pierre Parrocel, and Annibal Carrache), 10 objects of the XVIIIth (featuring authors Jean-Baptiste Van Loo, Charles Van Loo, and Philippe Sauvan) will be found in the collegiate church of Sainte-Martha (Saint-Jacques church). Five objects from the 18th century and another 5 objects from the 19th century can be found in the town hall.

During the 17th and 18th centuries, the town flourished as evidenced by beautiful buildings that line the streets of the city center. In the 17th century, the town hall was built, with the Louis XIII façade decorated with a statue of St. Martha, saint patron of the city.

The large room known as the Salle des Consuls has retained its "French-style" coffered ceiling, its wall paneling and the seats of the Consuls which are original artifacts from the period. There are four, one for each representative: a craftsman, a clerk, a bourgeois, a noble.

Address of the town hall: Place du Marché, Tarascon


The Souléïado Museum contains the collection of fabric and Provençal costumes.

Address: the hotel d'Aiminy


The construction of the Hotel des Monnaies was created in two styles of architecture: Gothic and Renaissance. Coinage was struck here from 1387 to 1520.

Address: 28 Rue des Halles, Tarascon


The municipal theater was designed in the Italian neo-Baroque style. The scene was set in the apse of the old Dominican church. It was during the second half of the 15th century that the Dominicans settled in Tarascon. They received the Chapelle Saint-Jean, which they transformed into a very beautiful church, consecrated in 1499. In 1825, the Commune, with the consent of Charles X., bought the church to convert it into a theater for the performing arts. The building was rebuilt in 1888 and, during renovation, the facade was completely made over. Its pediment represents a lyre supported by two angels, a work sculptor Jean Barnabé Amy, who hailed from the village of Tarascon. Restored in 1991 to its original style and equipped with modern technology, it now offers an eclectic array of performing arts programming.


The mythical adventures of Tartarin have become known everywhere and helped to make the village of Tarascon world famous.

Alphonse Daudet's novel “Tartarin from Tarascon” tells the story of Tartarin, a brave lion hunter, who was a native son of this town in Provence.

Having dreamed of expeditions and hunting since his youth, Tartarin had left for Africa to realize his dream - to hunt the lion.

Returning from his journey, he told of extraordinary adventures he had not actually experienced … He triumphs, the people of his hometown were proud of their hero and glorified Tartarin forever ...

Boaster and braggart, this character seems to us sympathetic: his story, which is told with great passion, makes us believe that he is a real and actual hero.

Today, a bronze sculpture of Tartarin stands on the Louis Gonthier plot.

The house of Tartarin was built in 1985. It is located 55 bis boulevard Itam. This building is a reconstruction of the previous hero's house. In 2008, this structure became a private dwelling and therefore its premises are no longer open to the public.


Baux-de-Provence wines are designated as a Protected Designation of Origin since 1995.

With an area of about 350 ha, the appellation combined area extends over eight villages: Les Baux-de-Provence, Eygalières, Fontvieille, Maussane-les-Alpilles, Mouriès, Le Paradou, Saint Étienne du Grès and Saint-Remy-de-Provence.

The annual production of the appellation presents 9 000 hectoliters annually, of which 85% are engaged in organic farming. The Baux de Provence appellation is one of the warmest, most watered and productive AOP areas in Provence.

The soils of the appellation area of Baux de Provence are clay-limestone, gravelly sandy, clayey and stony.

The appellation Baux de Provence grape varieties are Grenache, Mourvèdre and Syrah, but also Cabernet Sauvignon, Cinsault, and Counoise.

Appellation Les Baux-de-Provence brings together 12 producers on the south and north sides of the Alpilles: Château d'Estoublon, Mas de la Dame, Mas Sainte Berthe, Château Dalmeran, Domaine de Lauzières, L'Affectif, Mas de Gourgonnier, Domaine de la Vallongue, Domaine de Terres Blanches, Château Romanin, Domaine Hauvette, Domaine Guilbert.


Arles is situated in the Rhône river delta, at the foot of the Alpilles dans le département des Bouches-du-Rhône en région Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur. The town has a rich historical and architectural heritage dating from the time of the Roman Empire, the Medieval, and Renaissance periods.

The feast of Arles is organized on May 1st each year by the Brotherhood of the Guardians.

Arles fetes gardians 2023 gmca 1


Since 1986, the city has been also classified as a “City of Arts and History".

Among the historic sites referenced as “Historic Monuments” and designated as an “World Heritage Site” by Unesco are the Amphitheatre (Arena), Roman theater, Cryptoportiques, Baths of Constantine, Alyscamps, Ramparts, the remains of the Circus of the Roman period, and the cloister and portal of St.Trophime built between the 12th and 14th centuries.

The sixteenth, seventeenth, eighteenth centuries represented years of prosperity for Arles as evidenced by its beautiful buildings dating from the period.


The foundation of the Roman colony in Arles dates from the first century BC. Its founding is linked to the creation of the trade route between Rome and Spain. Among the remains from this period are amphitheater, ancient theater, forum, baths and circus.


Arles Arenes Provence gmca

Amphitheater dated 1st century BC. It could hold up to 21,000 spectators.

Open for visits:

  • 10:00am-5:00pm November thru February;
  • 9:00am-6:00pm March thru October;
  • 9:00am-7:00pm May thru September;

Closed 1st May and 1st November.

Address: 1 Rond-point des Arènes, 13200 Arles

Arles arenes fete des gardians Provence gmca


Theater Antique dated 1st century BC. It could hold up to 10,000 spectators.

Address: Rue du Cloître, 13200, Arles


The Forum, founded in 46 BC, featured a grand colonnade surrounding a public square. In the Roman tradition, the Forum consolidated the administrative, judicial, economic and religious administration of the Roman city. The two columns, and a piece of the facade with pediment, are the only existing ruins of the Forum of Arles. They are dated from the 2nd to the 4th centuries AD.

The Cryptoportiques present what remains of the underground galleries of the Forum, which in Roman times housed shops and places of amusement. Such galleries date from the first century BC. At that time, the galleries were partly open to the sky and the actual ground level was at a lower elevation. One can explore the underground remains today.

For visiting, the Cryptoportiques are open:

  • 10:00am-12:00pm and 2:00pm-5:00pm November thru February;
  • 9:00am-12:00pm and 2:00pm-6:00pm March thru October;
  • 9:00am - 12:00pm and 2:00pm - 7:00pm May thru September;

Closed 1st May and 1st November.

Address: Place de la République, 13200, Arles


The Baths of Constantine dated after the fourth century AD.

Open for visits:

  • 10:00am-12:00pm and 2:00pm-5:00pm November thru February;
  • 9:00am-12:00pm and 2:00pm-6:00pm March thru October;
  • 9:00am-12:00pm and 2:00pm-7:00pm May thru September.

Address: Rue du Grand Prieuré, 13200 Arles


Roman and medieval necropolis and Saint Honorat Church.

Open for visits:

  • 10:00am-12:00pm and 2:00pm-5:00pm November thru February;
  • 9:00am-12:00pm and 2:00pm-6:00pm March thru October;
  • 9:00am-12:00pm and 2:00pm-7:00pm May thru September;

Closed 1st May and 1st November.

Address: Avenue des Alyscamps, 13200 Arles


The Departmental Museum of Ancient Arles is built on the remains of the Roman circus.


The archaeological collections of the County Museum of Ancient Arles present the architecture and operation of the Roman baths, as well as models of all ancient monuments, Roman and Gallic-Roman.

The museum is open for visits every day except Tuesday from 10:00am to 6:00pm.

Address: Avenue 1ere division de la France libre, presqu'île du cirque romain, 13635 Arles cedex



Classified as an national historic monument in 1840, the St. Trophime Cathedral was designated an "World Heritage Site" by UNESCO in 1981.

The cathedral is one of the most important among the Provençal Romanesque style edifices. It was built during the 12th through 15th centuries. Its Provençal Romanesque portal was built during the 12th century. Its church also features relics found along the road to Compostela.  A Gothic choir loft eventually replaced the Romanesque apses of the 15th century.


Two Romanesque galleries and two Gothic galleries are dated from the 12th through the 14th centuries and form the cloister. Remarkably preserved statues adorn the aisles.

The site includes a beautiful stature of St Trophime and an allegory of the life of Christ.

Besides these religious evocations, there are also references to local folklore, such as a beautiful figure of the Tarasque, the mythological monster that haunted the voyagers of the Rhone and which was defeated by Saint Martha.

Open for visits:

  • 10:00am to 5:00pm November thru February;
  • 9:00am to 6:00pm March thru October;
  • 9:00am to 7:00pm May thru September;

Closed 1st May and 1st November.

Address: Place de la république, 13200 Arles


Located on the outskirts of Arles, on the road to Fontvieille, the Abbey was founded in 949 by the Benedictine community. Over more than eight centuries of monastic life, the monastery complex was enlarged and enriched by new buildings. In 1840, the Abbey was classified as a national historical monument following its restoration by Henri Révoil. In 1945, the abbey was formally designated state property.

For visits, the Abbey is open:

  • 9:30am to 6:00pm April thru June;
  • 10:00am to 6:30pm July thru September;
  • 10:00pm to 5:00pm October thru March.

Address: Route de Fontvieille, 13200 Arles


From the late 15th to the mid-16th centuries, Arles thrived in economic, political, and social terms. The aristocracy lived in the town center and had built many sumptuous residences. In 1558, a belfry was erected in the heart of the city, currently located on the site of what is now known as Republic Square. Many mansions adorned with rich decorations were also built downtown, in Vieux-Bourg (Old Village), in Bourg-Neuf (New Village), and in the le Marché-Neuf (New Market). The construction that took place during the period of the 17th and 18th centuries gives Arles its current look: the design of both City Hall and its Republic Square reflect the change in style that came into fashion during the so-called ‘Royale’ period.


In 1987 Arles was designated as a "City of Art and History". This title draws attention to the fact that this city has placed a premium on its archaeological and architectural heritage and possesses a special sensitivity for the architecture of all former epochs.


Located in the former palace of the Order of Malta, and the former house of Jacques Réattu, the Museum of Fine Arts of Arles is a historical monument. The museum's collection includes paintings by Jacques Réattu (1760-1833), and other painters of the 17th century, as well as the works of many contemporary artists. The museum was created by Elizabeth Grange, the only daughter of Réattu, who later donated the building and its collections to the City.

Woven hangings - unique collection of 16th and 17th century tapestries.

The hangings of Réattu Museum represent an exceptional collection of tapestries woven between the late 16th and 17th centuries including some that depict the ‘Seven Wonders of the World’: The Temple of Diana at Ephesus, the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus, the Hanging Gardens of Babylon (fragment only), the colossus of Rhodes, and the Coliseum. The tapestries and furniture on display once belonged to the Order of Malta, and previously to the Queen of Sweden, Christine (1632-1654). The woven tapestries of the ‘Seven Wonders of the World’ are kept in reserve and placed on public display on rotating basis.

For visiting, Museum Réattu open every day:

  • 10:00am-5:00pm November thru February;
  • 10:00am-6:00pm March thru October;
  • 10:00am-7:00pm May thru September;

Closed 1st May and 1st November.

Address: Route de Fontvieille, 13200 Arles


Founded in 1896 by Frédéric Mistral, in Hotel Laval-Castellane, which itself dates from the 15th century, the Museon Arlaten is the county’s Ethnographic Museum. It contains a collection of costumes, furniture, tools, objects of worship and superstition of life Provencal 19th century. The ethnographic museum is currently under renovation and will reopen in 2019.


Vincent Van Gogh lived in Arles between February 1888 and May 1889. Approximately 300 drawings and paintings inspired by his stay in the Arles are on permanent display at the Museon Arlaten. Many places where the artist once placed his easel are marked by signs.

Arles is also a city of culture and tradition featuring two major events each year: In the summer, there is the “Meet Photography” event with photographic exhibitions and during the month of July a world renowned music festival.


The restaurant "Lou Marquès" specializes in Provencal gourmet and traditional French cuisine.

The gourmet restaurant Lou Marques Arles offers a cuisine with sweet scents of Provence.

Head Chefs Pascal Renaud and Joseph Kriz will suggest to you fragrant and well-balanced dishes.

Following your meal, the dessert will be prepared by Chef Anne Beyl.


The Chateauneuf-du-Pape appellation is situated about 52 km from Arles.

The history and development of the this appellation is related primarily to the installation of the Roman Catholic Popes in Avignon during the 14thcentury.

The culture of winemaking in the region probably dates back to Roman times, though the first written evidence of its existence dates only from 1157 AD.

In any event, it was through the patronage of the popes that wine of this appellation became well known. The vineyard now has 3,200 hectares spread throughout the towns of Châteauneuf-du-Pape, Bédarrides, Courthézon, Orange and Sorgue.


The appellation Châteauneuf-du-Pape consists of five (5) villages: Châteauneuf-du-Pape, Courthézon, Bédarrides, Sorgue, Orange.

Vinadéa, house wines of Châteauneuf-du-Pape, offers regular tastings of appellation wines. More than 200 different items are available for sale. Most bottles are sold at the same price as the property available individually or per case, with the possibility to be delivered anywhere throughout France.

The wine house is open every day:

  • 10:00am-12:30pm and 2:00pm-7:00pm during summer;
  • 10:00am-12:30pm and 2:00pm-6:30pm mid-season;
  • 10:00am-12:00pm and 2:00pm-6:00pm during winter;

Closed in February, on December 25th, and January 1st.

Address: Wine house of Châteauneuf-du-Pape "Vinadéa",

8, rue Marechal Foch, BP 68 84232 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cedex